Monday, January 26, 2009

How to Pray for Your Pastor's Wife

How To Pray For Your Pastor's Wife
I happen to read a lot of blogs (probably way to many), and one that I have learned a lot from is this sweet lady. She is very honest about her life, marriage and parenting. A few months ago she wrote this post about how to pray for the staff wives at your church. I e-mailed her and asked if I could use it on my blog and she graciously said yes!
So, during Pastor Appreciation Month, I printed this out and gave it to the ladies in my accountability group. My pastor's wife happens to be in this group so I asked her to tell us what she thought about these and what we could add to it. She loved it and said that they all were true and very helpful things to pray for.
Here are my thoughts on a few of them:
  • To know when to have important discussions. Sometime your pastor's wife is going to have to tell someone something that they don't want to hear. We need to pray that she will have discernment from God about timing, what to say and how to say it.
  • To form trustworthy friendships. She will need this more than we will ever know. We need to be fervently praying for this! And, I hate to tell you this, but........it might not include you. OUCH! I know, that one kinda hurts, but think about it. She needs a safe environment to vent. She may want to vent about something your husband did or didn't do, or maybe even about you. AND THAT'S OK. Sometimes when people vent they realize that they were not really mad about that situation (what they were really mad about was everything else in their life and this situation just tipped them over the edge).
  • To grow personally in her relationship with the Lord. This is so stinking important. How can we expect someone to pour into our lives if they are not being poured into themselves. She needs time with God and His Word. Pray for her to have the ability to carve out the time in her unbelievable schedule. Pray for it to be a refreshing time and that she never feels rushed or guilty about getting to do something she is enjoying. Pray that her husband, kids and other church memebers won't be a distraction to her during this time.

"I pray for you constantly, asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you may grow in your knowledge of God." Ephesians 1:17

No comments: